Thursday, September 1, 2016

Thursday Thoughts for Therapy: "Why should I care?"

I'm reading a good book on kindle currently, called "The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs.
I"m  6 chapters into the book and it's  intriguing .  Some things I knew and some chapters have shed some needed light.
The message I've pondered on was when you share a presentation answer the audience's questions, "Why should I care?"  





I liken this to when you teach a class or  teach one student.

I realized when we work with young or older clients, we need to make sure we address that same question.  We tend to think of this as a "rationale".  Why should I do that?  Or why is this better for me?""How does this benefit me?

Yesterday, I asked one of my preteen client, "Do you know why I want you to do this?"  By her facial expression and off reply, I knew I had to do a better job explaining.  I said, "When I ask you to do something, You should have a very clear understanding why its important to you and how it benefits your life."  "You want to make sure the reason is super clear."  That led us into a great experience during the session.  She actually was more receptive  than previous sessions.